More topics for your argumentative essay
Arguing: the meaning
Arguing can mean giving arguments – some strong facts that will back up one’s opinion.
What is your opinion about arguments?
How to Write a Good Argumentative Essay: First Argument
__ Argumentative essay topics__
1. We are becoming increasingly dependent on computers. They are used in businesses, hospitals, crime detection and even to fly planes. What things will they be used for in future? Is this dependence on computers a good thing or should we be more suspicious of their benefits?
2. In what ways has information technology changed education in the past 10 years?
3. Technology is making communication easier in today's world, but at the expense of personal contact as many people choose to work at home in front of a computer screen. What dangers are there for a society which depends on computer screens rather than face-to-face contact for its main means of communication?
4. Some businesses now say that no one can smoke cigarettes in any of their offices. Some governments have banned smoking in all public places. Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons.
5. Should the same laws which prohibit the sale and consumption of heroin be applied to tobacco?
6. To what extent is the use of animals in scientific research acceptable?
7. Human beings do not need to eat meat in order to maintain good health because they can get all their food needs from meatless products and meatless substances. A vegetarian diet is as healthy as a diet containing meat. Argue for or against the opinion above.
8. Forests are the lungs of the earth. Destruction of the world's forests amounts to death of the world we currently know. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
9. Are our zoos cruel to wild animals? Discuss.
10. Zoos are sometimes seen as necessary but not poor alternatives to a natural environment. Discuss some of the arguments for and/or against keeping animals in zoos.
11. Damage of the environment is an inevitable consequence of worldwide improvements in the standard of living. Discuss.
12. The rising levels of congestion and air pollution found in most of the world cities can be attributed directly to the rapidly increasing number of private cars in use. In order to reverse this decline in the quality of life in cities, attempts must be made to encourage people to use their cars less and public transport more. Discuss possible ways to encourage the use of public transport.
13. Education is the single most important factor in the development of a country. Do you agree?
14. Foreign language instruction should begin in kindergarten. Discuss.
15. Children should never be educated at home by their parents. Do you agree or disagree?
16. Children learn best by observing behavior of adults and copying it. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
17. To what extent should universities function as training grounds for employment?
18. Should wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations by providing such things as food and education? Or is it a responsibility of the governments of poorer nations to look after their citizens themselves?
19. To what extent will migration from the developing world to the developed world become a social and political issue in the 21st century?
20. In some countries the average worker is obliged to retire at the age of 50, while in others people can work until they are 65 or 70. Until what age do you think people should be encouraged to remain in paid employment? Give reasons for your answer.
21. In your opinion should government intervene in the rights of the individual with regard to family planning?
22. To what extent has the traditional male role changed in the last 20 years?
23. Many people believe that women make better parents than men and that this is why they have the greater role in raising children in most societies. Others claim that men are just as good as women at parenting. Write your point of view on this. Give reasons for your answer.
24. The best way to reduce the number of traffic accidents is to make all young drivers complete a safe driving education course before being licensed to drive.
25. The rising levels of congestion and air pollution found in most of the world cities can be attributed directly to the rapidly increasing number of private cars in use.. Discuss possible ways to encourage the use of public transport.
26. News editors decide what to broadcast on TV and what to print in newspapers. What factors do you think influence their decisions?
27. Do we become used to bad news? Would it be better if more good news was reported?
28. TV: could you be without it? Discuss.
29. The mass media, including TV, radio and newspapers, have great influence in shaping people's ideas. To what extent do you agree or disagree this statement? Give reasons for your answer.
30. Tourism is becoming increasingly important as a source of revenue to many countries but its disadvantages should not be overlooked. What are some of the problems of tourism?
31. Are women better parents than men?
32. Should children should be taught sex education in schools?
33. Should money be spent on space exploration?
34. Should rich countries should forgive all debts for poor countries?
35. Should developing countries concentrate on improving industrial skills or should they promote education first?
36. Does modern technology make life more convenient, or was life better when technology was simpler?
37. In your opinion what factors contribute to a good movie?
38. Does modern technology make life more convenient, or was life better when technology was simpler?
39. If children behave badly, should their parents accept responsibility and also be punished?
40. Will modern technology, such as the internet ever replace the book or the written word as the main source of information?
41. Discuss the advantage and disadvantage of giving international Aid to poor countries.
42. Computers can translate all kinds of languages well. Do our children need to learn more languages in the future?
Taken from: Writefix
Writing your argumentative essay introduction
Writing your argumentative essay conclusion
Published on Thursday, November 4 2010 by Teadira Perez